First Lady of the United States (FLOTUS) is the title held by the wife of the President of the United States. Although the first lady’s role has never been codified or officially defined, she figures prominently in the political and social life of the nation. Melania Trump is the current First Lady.Here are some set of rules to be followed by The First Lady.
1. The first lady is, first and foremost, the hostess of the White House. She organizes and attends official ceremonies and functions of state either along with or in place of, the president. Political influences include presidents’ speech writing and editing, policy advising and advocating, electing presidential appointment and campaigning.
2. For being The First Lady, there is no need to be The President’s wife. She can be President’s daughter or niece. It’s just compulsory that to be The First Lady she should be the part of The President’s family. But as a supportive wife, first lady influence the president in not only personal and public life, but also in political career and social attitude.
3. The First Lady doesn’t need to live in The White House. She can live in her house itself. As Melania Trump has decided to live in her house in The New York City with her son. But at the time of political affairs or certain events, she needs to be present there, by the side of The President.
4. As she’s the first lady so she has certain duties towards her nation and the people of the country. For spreading peace and happiness she should support certain Charity houses and Organizations. Laura Bush, a one-time librarian, has particular concerns about Aids, education, and Africa. Eleanor Roosevelt as First Lady campaigned publicly for human rights, among other things.
5. Being the first lady of The U.S. she should dress well as she has certain duties to fulfill. She should dress well to respect the manners and cultures of any particular country she visits. Some first ladies have garnered attention for their dress and style. Jacqueline Kennedy, for instance, became a global fashion icon: her style was copied by commercial manufacturers and imitated by many young women, and she was named to the International Best-Dressed List Hall of Fame in 1965.
6. While visiting other countries she should be fully prepared while greeting someone. She should know the basic customs of those countries and their way of greeting. And she should be dressed in a sophisticated manner and should not leave a bad impression on the people. Neither should she hurt the feelings of the country, she is visiting.
7. As she’s the first lady, wife of The President, she shouldn’t expect any salary neither should she receive any gifts. Though government covers all her costs such as living expenses and personal protection.
8. The major duty which she has to include involvement in political campaigns, management of the White House, the championship of social causes, and representation of the president at official and ceremonial occasions. Because first ladies now typically publish their memoirs, which are viewed as potential sources of additional information about their husbands’ administrations. So She should be all time ready to give speeches and attend events.
9. As she’s The President’s wife so she has to be involved politically with her husband. But she cannot assume any privileges that come with her husband being a politically elected official.