Saudi Arabia is geographically the fifth-largest state in Asia and second-largest state in the Arab world after Algeria. This Islamic state which world’s largest oil producer and exporter is a bit different from the world we live in. Did you know that SIPRI found that Saudi Arabia was the world’s second largest arms importer? This economically rich country has some much more interesting facts which will surely shock you.
So, here are 12 Shocking Facts about Saudi Arabia You Didn’t Know:
1.Homosexual activity in Saudi Arabia is a criminal activity that can result to death penalty or, at the very least, a long stretch in prison with public flogging.
2.Birth control is illegal in Saudi Arabia.
3. Saudi Arabia practices an absolute monarchy and has the last significant monarchy in the world.
4. Saudi women can’t not travel abroad without the permission of their husbands.
5.Smoking and Tobacco is banned in Saudi Arabia.
6.95% of Saudi Arabia is desert or semi-desert and the country has one of the largest desert in the world.
7. In Saudi Arabia, everything closes during salat (prayer time). It is strictly enforced and it can last up to 30 minutes.
8. Non-Muslims are not allowed to have Saudi citizenship.
9. Saudi Arabia is considering ending beheading as the national form of execution because of a lack of swordsmen in the country.
10. Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the world without a river.
11. Not only does Saudi Arabia have a civil police force, but also has a religious police force, which is in charge of purifying thought and action in Saudi communities.
12.About eighty percent of the Saudi Arabian labor force is non-national.
This monarch country being one of the richest countries in the world, has flourished on the desert and has something quite mysterious about itself that attracted us to write about it. Hope you got some travel details you needed if you were planning to give a visit!